Vladimir Vysotsky (1938-1980) was a singer, songwriter, actor, and poet — a giant in Russian popular music and popular culture alike. Vysotsky was an icon of the 1960s and continues to unite the Russian-speaking diaspora.
In commemoration of what would have been Vysotsky’s eightieth birthday, the UC San Diego Library is hosting an ongoing winter quarter exhibit on Vysotsky’s life and legacy. Included in the exhibit is a commemorative Vysotsky medallion presented to UC San Diego by Yuri Kaida of Riga, Latvia, in appreciation of the university’s ongoing relationship to the Russian-speaking diaspora community.
Dmitry Bykov, Moscow-based scholar, novelist, and poet will discuss Vysotsky’s life, work, and legacy during a lecture on Thursday, January 24. The lecture and exhibit are jointly sponsored by the UC San Diego Library, Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies Program, and the San Diego-based European Staff Association.
Dmitry Bykov is a celebrated Russian writer, poet, and journalist. He is a well-loved host of television and radio programs in Russia, and is the co-creator, with Mikhail Yefremov, of the popular Citizen Poet project, which presents contemporary Russian topics in the form of classic poetry. He lectures widely in Russia and abroad.
This event is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served. For more information about the event, please contact the event coordinator, Mariah Fellows.
All visitors to the UC San Diego campus are required to display a valid parking pass. The closest parking to Geisel Library is the Hopkins parking structure. For information about accessible parking on campus, click here. More information about parking on campus.
Driving Directions from North of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 southbound past the 5/805 split.
2. Take Genesee Avenue exit westbound (right off freeway).
3. Take Genesee Avenue to North Torrey Pines Road.
4. Turn left on North Torrey Pines.
5. Turn left on to North Point Drive.
6. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
7. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
8. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.
Driving Directions from South of UC San Diego
1. Take I-5 northbound.
2. Take La Jolla Village Drive westbound (left off freeway).
3. La Jolla Village Drive turns into North Torrey Pines Road. Stay on it to North Point Drive.
4. Turn right on North Point Drive.
5. Follow North Point Dr. through the stop signs; as it curves right it will become Hopkins Drive.
6. Continue on Hopkins Drive until you reach Voigt Drive.
7. The Hopkins parking structure is at the corner of Voigt Drive with entrances on both Hopkins and Voigt Drive.