Study Abroad

All German Studies students are strongly encouraged to make overseas study an integral part of their program. The UC Education Abroad Program (EAP), UC San Diego's Opportunities Abroad Program (OAP), or Global Seminars may be used to complete requirements for the major or minor. Students may petition to use up to five courses completed while studying abroad in their major, and three in their minorThe UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) conducts formal programs of study in Berlin, and Munich, ranging from one-quarter, intensive beginning language programs to a full year of study at a German university. For more information about those programs visit the UCEAP Study Abroad in Germany page. Information about all of these programs may be found on the Study Abroad UC San Diego page. You may also contact the Study Abroad Office at 858-534-1123 or via email at

Before Leaving Abroad

Students considering study abroad must meet with the German Studies Program Director before going abroad to discuss how study abroad coursework will fulfill requirements for the German Studies major or minor. Students should note that:

  • courses to be applied toward the major/minor, must be the equivalent of at least four quarter upper-division units at UC San Diego.
  • these courses, must be as academically rigorous as UC San Diego upper-division courses.


Student will need to provide supporting evidence (course descriptions, course syllabi, papers, exams, etc.) of all abroad courses to be applied toward completion of the German Studies major/minor. Most study abroad coursework will need to be petitioned upon student's return.

Returning from Abroad

Once your study abroad coursework has transferred, please follow these steps to petition the courses to count for credit toward the minor.

  1. Fill out an Undergraduate Student Petition [PDF] form for each course.
  2. Include department course number and course title.
  3. If abroad transcript has been forwarded to UC San Diego, attach a copy from TritonLink to the petition. (Students may petition abroad courses pending receipt of official transcript verifying appropriate transfer credits and grade.)
  4. Student will need to meet with, or email the petition(s) to the Program Director, who will review the petition and course documents (syllabus, papers, and/or exams).
  5. After the Program Director has approved the Undergraduate Student Petition(s) turn it in to the CAESAR Programs Coordinator.

If you have questions about this process or require assistance with filling out the paperwork please contact the CAESAR Programs Coordinator.



CAESAR Programs Coordinator


Andrianna Martinez

Humanities and Social Sciences Building, Room 1105

Walk-in Advising:
10:00-11:00 AM and 2:00-3:00 PM
and by appointment