Skip to main content

German Studies: Frequently Asked Questions

Please see below for responses to commonly asked questions. If you have further questions, please contact the German Studies program through the Virtual Advising Center (VAC).

How many study abroad courses can I apply to my major or minor?

German Studies majors can petition up to 5 study abroad courses to count. 

German Studies minors can petition up to 3 study abroad courses to count. 

What study abroad options are there?

The UC Education Abroad Program (EAP) conducts formal programs of study in Berlin, and Munich, ranging from 1-quarter, intensive beginning language programs to a full year of study at a German university. For more information about those programs visit the UCEAP Study Abroad in Germany page. Information about all of these programs may be found on the Study Abroad UC San Diego page. You may also contact the Study Abroad Office at 858-534-1123 or via email at

Students considering study abroad must meet with the German Studies Program Director before going abroad to discuss how study abroad coursework will fulfill requirements for the major.

I found a UC San Diego course I want to use for German Studies. Can I take it?

You will need to petition the course to see if it will apply towards your German Studies major or minor. 

You can email completed petitions to and make sure to include: Undergraduate Petition Form (one per course) and the course syllabus. If you have already taken the course, please include relevant course work needed for review.

Undergraduate Petition Form (PDF)