European Studies is an interdisciplinary program that focuses on the politics, culture, economy, society and history of Europe and on Europe’s place in the world. The European Studies undergraduate minor is for students interested in all things European. Students can choose from a wide variety of themes, including such issues as
- the expansion of the European Union, its role as a new economic and political power, and U.S.-European relations
- the history of Europe, including European expansion and imperialism, the legacy of the European Enlightenment; nationalism, war and genocide in the 20th Century
- the historical presence of Islam in Europe and the rise of non-European immigrations
- European film, literature, and music
- new forms of communication and artistic expression
- the European philosophical tradition from Aristotle to Kant, Nietzsche, Sartre, Heidegger.
Discussion of these subjects and many more touches on the most crucial social, cultural, and political issues of the emerging global order of the 21st century.
The European Studies Minor will help provide a basic expertise in the region, including transnational courses that consider the region as a whole as well as courses focusing on individual nations and national cultures and linguistic traditions. UC San Diego offers unparalleled opportunities to study with over 100 interdisciplinary faculty, in a variety of humanities and social science departments, this multicultural region that is undergoing major upheavals.
The European Studies Minor is ideal for students who:
- plan to study in Europe on an EAP or OAP program (or are returning from study abroad in Europe)
- have strong European interests and/or are already proficient in an European language
- are thinking about working in Europe
- seek to complement their major with the study of Europe as a political, cultural, and economic entity
- are entertaining a career in foreign service, international non-governmental organizations, law, biomedical research, medicine, or business
Questions regarding coursework for a European Studies minor may be directed to the Program Director. Questions regarding minor requirements may be directed toward the Program Coordinator.